Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Brother Like That

Cory Collins shared this story in a recent bulletin of the Mars Hill Church of Christ in Florence Alabama: “Dan Clark relates the true story of his friend Paul receiving a new car as a gift from his brother. A poor boy admired the shiny automobile and asked, “Is this your car, Mister?” Paul nodded. “My brother gave it to me for Christmas.” The boy’s eyes opened wide. “Boy, I wish…” He hesitated. Of course, Paul knew what he was going to wish for. He was going to wish he had a brother like that. But what the lad said jarred Paul all the way down to his heels. “I wish,” the boy went on, “that I could be a brother like that.” Paul was astonished. He took the boy for a ride; the boy asked Paul to stop at some steps. He ran inside and came out carrying his crippled little brother. He showed him the car, told him how Paul got it, and said, “One day I’m gonna give you one just like it!”


What a rare attitude! Perhaps we have bought into the idea that the church would be a better place if we just had better spiritual brothers and sisters. “If brother so-and-so would act like a Christian, our congregation would be much better off.” “If sister so-and-so would soften her heart, the church would be a more peaceful place.”


When faced with challenging circumstances in the body of Christ, let me suggest that we begin to deal with them by looking internally instead of externally. Instead of wishing that others would change, I could determine to be more Christ-like myself. Instead of hoping that others would treat me better, I could resolve to treat others as I would like to be treated. Instead of thinking that others should do more, I could set an example with my own involvement.


Lord, instead of being so quick to see the flaws of others, would you help me to be who You have called me to be. May I be “…a brother like that…”

God loves you!

Mike

No comments: