Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rock Theology

“Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance; and do not suppose that you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham for our father’; for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham” (Matthew 3:8-9).

Some Pharisees and Sadducees were among the large crowds who responded to John’s preaching concerning repentance and the kingdom of heaven. As their turn came to be baptized, John confronts them regarding their prideful attitudes which were keeping them from acting upon their professions of repentance. Apparently, these men felt that their ancestral link to Abraham exempted them from having to make certain changes in their lives. John bluntly shatters their delusions of self-importance by reminding them that, if necessary, God can make descendants of Abraham out of rocks!

I need to be reminded of the same thing from time to time. Like when I become prideful of my own efforts to serve God. Like when I get to thinking that I am so valuable to the cause of Christ. Like when I presume God needs my help in defending Himself. Like when I assume my opinions or preferences ought to be everyone else’s opinions or preferences. Like when I believe God can’t get along without me. It is precisely at these times that I also need to remember that I can be replaced by a rock!

Am I important to God? Am I valuable to Him? Of course! But it is not because of my perceived abilities, usefulness, understandings, or accomplishments. I have no intrinsic value – any worth I have is granted to me by the grace of God. God isn’t lucky to have me on His team – instead, I am blessed to have the opportunity to serve Him. God doesn’t need me – but I desperately need Him.

Lord, when my own unworthiness becomes overshadowed by my illusions of self-importance, please gently remind me that my significance comes from who You are instead of who I am. Thank you for the incredible privilege of being Your servant.

God loves you!
Mike

1 comment:

snebrown said...

Wow Mike....very good article. It is a very humbling thought that We all could have been replaced by Rocks...keep up the good work.