Monday, January 30, 2023

The Heart-Knower

“After there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, “Brethren, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe. And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith” (Acts 15:7-9).

Perhaps you can think back to your own childhood and remember how it seemed like Mom or Dad had eyes in the back of their heads. No matter how well we tried to hide evidence of our misdeeds, they always had a way of knowing we were up to something. As we grew older, we realized it wasn’t the result of some miraculous ability on their part. Through careful observation and knowing us better than we knew ourselves, they were to see through most of our schemes.

In the verses above, Peter refers to God as the one “...who knows the heart.” This means that God knows us inside and out in a far greater way than any earthly parent. And for the child of God, that should be a source of comfort, not fear.  Perhaps this is what David had in mind as he penned these words: “O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all. You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it” (Psalm 139:1-6).

There is no doubt that God knows your heart.  The bigger question is: Does your heart know Him?

 

God loves you!

Mike 

No comments: