Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Famous Last Words

“I can beat it!”

“I wonder if it’s loaded. I’ll look down the barrel and see.”

“Look at this wire hanging down into the street! I’ll throw it to one side.”

“I wonder how much electricity these wires carry. I’ll touch this one and see.”

“I wonder whether this rope will hold my weight!”

“Listen! That’s the train whistle. Step on the gas, and we’ll beat it across.”

“That stick of dynamite must have gone out. I’ll light it again.”

“Watch me skate past the ‘danger’ sign. I’ll bet I can touch it.”

“It’s no fun swimming here. I’m going out beyond the life lines.”*


A case could be made that the most famous last words of all time were spoken by the Savior as He surrendered His life on a hill outside the city of Jerusalem. “After this, Jesus, knowing that all things had already been accomplished, to fulfill the Scripture, *said, “I am thirsty.” A jar full of sour wine was standing there; so they put a sponge full of the sour wine upon a branch of hyssop and brought it up to His mouth. Therefore when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And He bowed His head and gave up His spirit” (John 19:28–30).

“It is finished.”  The word “finished” means to bring to a close, to finish, to bring to an end, or to pay in full.  Jesus had been sent by the Father “to seek and save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10).  Salvation for the lost would be provided through the death of the sinless Son of God as a sacrifice for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2).  The sin debt was paid and atonement provided for all who would put their faith in Christ (Romans 3:21-26).

The work of redemption was completed on the cross. My sin debt has been paid. I’m thankful for a Savior Who set out to do a job and then finished it.


God loves you!

Mike

*ministry127.com 

No comments: