Monday, August 22, 2011

Its A God Thing

My family and I were blessed to be part of Family Camp 3 at Yellowstone Bible Camp in Montana recently. Some great friendships have been forged over the past 17 years. We get to catch up with other families who have also attended for several years. We see each other only one week each year but its almost as though we haven’t been apart. We also get to meet new families who are trying Family Camp for the first time. At first, they are a bit reserved because they are not sure what to expect. But by the end of the week, they have become another part of the YBC “family.” It truly is a piece of heaven on earth.

The camp experience for me this year was a bit different because I was chosen to be the teacher for the week. Fifteen class sessions in six days kept me a bit busier than normal. It was humbling to be asked to share God’s word with so many good friends that I love and respect. Since we are not around each other except for one week a year, I really had no idea what each heart needed to hear. I didn’t know the struggles each family was facing.

But God did. On several occasions, fellow campers would approach me and say something like: “How did you know I needed to hear that?” “It seemed like you were talking directly to me.” I could honestly say that I didn’t know and I certainly wasn’t speaking directly to any individual person or situation. But, thankfully, God DID know and He WAS working directly on specific hearts and situations.

The experience reminded me, once again, that God is the only One who can change lives. He may use me or any other servant He chooses as a conduit but it is HIS message that makes the difference. It is still HIS word that is “living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword” (Hebrews 4:12). Thank you, Father, for making a difference!

God loves you!
Mike

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Wonderful, Mike! I'm glad this was a great experience for you. I knew it would be for your audience! Wish we could have been there.

Warren

Mike Anderson said...

Having the Baldwins there would have been great! As always, it was a fun week.

Mike