Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Bumper Car Theology

I learned something at the amusement park the other day. No, I didn’t learn that I can’t tolerate wild rides. I learned that at an EARLY age and I have NEVER forgotten it. Just watching others ride on a roller coaster that spins you around, turns you upside down, and hurtles you at break-neck speed through a maze of metal makes my stomach queasy. I always stand at a safe distance with my feet rooted firmly on the ground and admire the foolish courage of others.

But I did learn that it has been too long since I have been in a bumper car. Bumper cars have always been one of my favorite amusement park attractions. They are safe, stable, and, although they do spin, it is at a much slower rate than other rides. I have never lost my lunch, or seen anyone else lose their lunch, after driving a bumper car. So as Taylor, Tessa, Emma, and I waited in line for our turn, I had a sense of anticipation rather than a sense of dread.

The ride operator opened the gate and we all chose our cars. Everyone was poised for action. And we were off! Everyone but me, I mean. I sat helplessly turning the steering wheel back and forth, but not moving an inch. Spectators and participants were all probably wondering, “What’s wrong with the old man? Why isn’t he moving?” Frankly, I was wondering the same thing. About half way through the ride, I discovered the little metal pedal under my right foot. Sheepishly, I pressed the pedal down and began wreaking bumper car havoc on the rest of the smart-alecks who hadn’t forgotten how to make their cars go.

It got me to thinking about the times I have forgotten about how to propel my service for God. There have been times in my walk with God that I have tightly gripped the steering wheel and turned it back and forth but nothing happened. Then I remembered the Power Source! Praise God for His indwelling Spirit!

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: