Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I Want To Die Running

A Wall Street Journal article from October 31, 2008 shares the story of marathon runner Joy Johnson. Lots of people compete in marathons each year, but what makes Johnson unique is her age. At the time the article was written, she was 81 years of age. She won her age division of the New York Marathon the previous year and had set her sights on winning it again in 2008.

Being a competitive marathoner is hard work at any age, but especially so when you are in your 80’s. Muscles, ligaments, and circulation begin to work against you. But Johnson works hard at maintaining her edge. Disappointed with her winning time of 7 hours in the 2007 event, she committed herself to shaving some time off of that pace. “Throughout the summer she ran 50-55 miles each week instead of 30-35. She ran hills and bleachers at the local high school football field, and she worked to build up her core strength at a running camp in Minnesota.” Incredible!

What I find most amazing about this energetic senior citizen is her attitude toward the activity she loves. She is quoted as saying: “I want to die running. That’s my goal...I’ve told my friends if I die here on this track, do not call 911 because I do not want to be revived...I say, wait a half an hour, maybe 45 minutes, then call the mortician. That’s the way I want to go.”

“I want to die running.” That’s the motto I want to adopt in the spiritual marathon that I am running. Nobody crosses the finish line of the race of life until they die. That’s why I must die running. If I want to “finish the course”, I have to kept putting one foot in front of the other until I rest in the arms of Jesus.

In case you are wondering, Joy Johnson did win her division in the 2008 New York Marathon in a time of 6 hours, 5 minutes, and 58 seconds.

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: