Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Stubbornness

“Who is the wise man that may understand this? And who is he to whom the mouth of the LORD has spoken, that he may declare it? Why is the land ruined, laid waste like a desert, so that no one passes through? The LORD said, "Because they have forsaken My law which I set before them, and have not obeyed My voice nor walked according to it, but have walked after the stubbornness of their heart and after the Baals, as their fathers taught them" (Jeremiah 9:12-14).

It really is pretty simple, isn’t it? Perhaps we make it more difficult than it is because we don’t want to face the truth. But the choices are crystal clear. We can choose to forsake the instructions of God or we can accept them. We can choose to listen to God or we can ignore Him. We can choose to follow God’s way or we can chart our own course. But choose carefully because judgment comes to those who forsake, ignore, and refuse to follow God! Why can’t people see it? Why don’t they make better choices? Because they are stubborn!

How do I know this? Not only because God said it but because I battle stubbornness in my own life. I know the precepts of God but I find it so tempting to make my own rules. I know what God says, but, too often, I find it easier to listen to myself. After all, I always agree with me! I know that following God is the best way to live, but I struggle with wanting my own way. My stubbornness keeps getting in the way.

I am called by God to present myself as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:2). But the difficulty with being a living sacrifice is that there is always the possibility of crawling off of the altar. My own stubbornness prompts me to do that too often. Lord, please help me to die daily as I seek to follow You (Luke 9:23-24).

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: