Monday, October 11, 2010

G.P.S.

“Thus says the LORD, ‘Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; and you will find rest for your souls.’ But they said, 'We will not walk in it.' And I set watchmen over you, saying, 'Listen to the sound of the trumpet!' But they said, 'We will not listen.' Therefore hear, O nations, and know, O congregation, what is among them. Hear, O earth: behold, I am bringing disaster on this people, the fruit of their plans, because they have not listened to My words, and as for My law, they have rejected it also” (Jeremiah 6:16-19).

Judah had not navigated wisely on her spiritual journey. She had come to a crossroads and chosen the wrong path -- one that led her away from God. Her chosen path was characterized by sin, stubbornness, and rebellion. Mercifully, God had been pleading with Judah to correct her course -- to make a u-turn and find “the ancient paths.”

What are these “ancient paths?” These are roads that lead toward God, not away from Him. The ancient paths are characterized by repentance and submission, not rebellion. The ancient paths encourage reverence for and knowledge of God, not arrogance and abuse. Godly people since the beginning of time have charted their course along these paths and have enjoyed the blessings of God. But Judah would have none of it! Like an insolent child, she stamped her foot and declared, “I won’t do it! I won’t listen!”

Periodically, I have to re-calibrate my spiritual G.P.S. (Godly Path Sensor). Like Judah, I regularly face the temptation of choosing a road that takes me away from God instead of toward Him. I must choose carefully because the wrong path can appear so appealing. I must remember that the “new” road isn’t always better than the “old” road. God has clearly marked out the safe path to a relationship with Him. The question is: Will I follow His directions or stubbornly insist on my own?

God loves you!
Mike

2 comments:

Mom said...

I like the idea of sensing God's path. While the Word is a definite guide, there is also the need to sense God's lead in our lives. The two will always agree. It is kind of like combining reading a map with observing your surroundings to get you where you need to go.

Mike Anderson said...

Good illustration! Thanks for reading...