Monday, October 18, 2010

Errors

Brooks Conrad, a professional baseball player for the Atlanta Braves, became an instant celebrity last Sunday. No, it wasn’t because he hit a game-winning home run. It wasn’t due to a diving catch that prevented a key base hit. He didn’t pitch a perfect game. Conrad can only wish that his notoriety was based on any of those heroics. No, he had the dubious honor of committing three errors in one playoff game. His third and final error of the game, when a ball skipped by his glove and escaped between his legs, allowed the opposing team to take a one-run lead in the ninth inning and, ultimately, win the game.

Negative reaction to Conrad’s miscues, especially the last one, was swift and strong. Many of the hometown Braves fans booed him mercilessly. Following the game, a hoard of reporters cornered him at his locker and peppered him with questions regarding the costly mistake. To his credit, Conrad didn’t make excuses. He was quoted as saying: “It’s completely embarrassing. I feel like I let everybody down. It’s a whole lot to swallow, but I’ll do my best to get over it. I probably won’t for a long time, if ever. I wish I could dig a hole and sleep in there.” Regardless of all the good things he has accomplished as a baseball player, if the Giants go on to win the series, he will likely be remembered for his errors in this one game.

I can sympathize with Brooks Conrad. Not because I am a professional baseball player, but because I am a player in the game of life. I live in a world that tends to remember my errors instead of my successes. Too often, my errors end up being costly and disappointing to others. Thankfully, I serve a God who specializes in forgetting my errors (Hebrews 8:12). As a child of God, while I may deserve getting booed, I am not defined by my mistakes.

I hope Brooks Conrad gets another chance. I know God continues to give me one.

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: