Monday, February 5, 2024

Relics

A September article by Debbie Lord on the kiro7.com website carried this title: “St. Jude relic: The arm belonging to the cousin of Jesus to be on tour in the U.S..”*

According to quoted sources, “...Jude’s arm was placed in a wooden reliquary shaped like a priest’s hand giving a blessing. A reliquary is a special receptacle for body parts or personal items of those deemed to be saints and martyrs....” One church official associated with the supposed relic shares the purpose of the tour: “Regarded as the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations, the visit provides an opportunity for individuals to experience intimacy with someone who dwells in Heaven and beholds God face-to-face” and “It allows devotees to receive his blessing and entrust him with their petitions.”

I won’t wade into the debate over whether this is an actual body part from an actual relative of Christ other than to say I have my doubts.  But for the sake of discussion, let’s just assume for a moment that it is what some claim it to be.  In that case, I would ask myself some questions.  Why would I, as a disciple of Christ, have any interest in a part of a dead body, whether it came from a saint or not?  Why would I need to seek “...to experience intimacy with someone who dwells in heaven and behold God face-to-face…” with anyone other than Jesus Christ?  He is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).  There is salvation in no One else (Acts 4:12).  Why would I seek Jude’s blessing and entrust him with my petitions?  While I’m sure that Jude blessed many during his lifetime, the only blessings I need to receive come from My Savior.  God has blessed me with every spiritual blessing in Christ (Ephesians 1:3).  Jesus Christ is the only mediator needed between humanity and God (1 Timothy 2:5).  I can entrust my petitions to Him.


God loves you!

Mike

*https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/st-jude-relic-arm-belonging-cousin-jesus-be-tour-us/L3PTPSMBZ5F5LEV6LNU66RPJMU/?fbclid=IwAR1B-gWZcdeWcu0ShnywK1UkF7U-m_UyDS0bOUsIR0bxIl6ko_pmA9xq5Rk


 

No comments: