Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Standing In The Way

“Therefore it is my judgment that we do not trouble those who are turning to God from among the Gentiles…” (Acts 15:19).

Sadly, there were some Jewish Christians in the early church who were creating roadblocks for Gentiles who were being saved.  These sincere but misguided believers were adding conditions to the simple gospel of salvation by faith that were getting in the way of evangelism (Acts 15:1,5).  The turmoil that resulted prompted a gathering in Jerusalem to deal with the issue.  The apostle Peter shared his experiences with a Gentile convert in Caesarea named Cornelius (Acts 15:7-11).  Barnabus and Paul gave a report of their missionary work among the Gentiles (Acts 15:12).  James, a leader in the Jerusalem church, demonstrated how the prophets of old spoke of how God always intended to include the nations in His plan (Acts 15:13-18).  All of this deliberation led to the statement of James referenced at the beginning of this article about not troubling the Gentiles who were turning to God.  The early church agreed with him (Acts 15:22). Don’t get in the way of the gospel!

All of this got me thinking about how I could be guilty of doing the same thing. Of course it is just as wrong for me today as it was for them to add or subtract from the gospel of salvation by faith.  But might there be other ways to “...trouble those who are turning to God…?”  Yes, but how?  New or potential converts could be troubled by my actions or attitudes toward others.  If I am divisive, that may foster unbelief in others (John 7:21).  If I am unloving, it may create doubts in others (John 13.35).

It’s been said that a Christian is a walking billboard for Christ.  Does the way I live my life draw others to God or does it become a troubling thing for those who are turning to Him?  Please Lord, help me never to stand in the way of someone turning to God.


God loves you!

Mike 

No comments: