Monday, March 25, 2019

The Worthy One


            “Who is worthy to open the book and to break its seals?”  The question asked by the strong angel (Revelation 5:2) reverberated throughout the throne room of God.  But the scroll held in the right hand of God remained unclaimed and unopened.  It appeared that no one was worthy of the task at hand.  The prospect of such failure causes John no little distress.  He weeps openly because no one could be found who was worthy enough to open the scroll and reveal its contents.
            But all is not lost!  There is an Overcomer Who steps forward to claim the scroll from the hand of God.  This Lion from Judah, this Root of David, this bloodied Lamb has provided abundant proof of His worthiness.  Through His sacrificial death, He overcame the power of sin and death and paid the price for the sins of all who turn to Him in faith.  Then He takes these saved ones and forms a kingdom of priests who will one day share His reign.  There is only One in all of human history Who fits this description -- Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
            I am so grateful for a Worthy One!  Why is that?  Because I know of my own unworthiness.  Like others before me (Matthew 8:8; Luke 5:8; 15.19; John 1.27), I am keenly aware of my own failings.  Even my “good days” pale in comparison to the One Who is truly worthy.  But, thankfully, that’s not the end of the story!  If my faith is in the One Who is worthy, I can be made worthy in the sight of God.  Not on the basis of who I am or what I have done, but on the basis of Who He is and what He has done.
            I join the innumerable heavenly host as the well as the rest of creation in praising the Worthy One!  “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing” (Revelation 5:12).

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: