Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Casting Our Crowns


            In chapter 4 of Revelation, John is given a visionary glimpse into the very throne room of God.  He has the difficult task of describing heavenly realities in human language.  The first sight that demands his attention is God Himself, seated on His throne.  What he sees is best characterized in terms of brilliant colors and symbolic images.  Surrounding God’s throne are twenty-four more thrones -- occupied by twenty-four white-clad and golden-crowned elders.  Lightning and thunder, symbolic of the great power and glory of God, radiate outward from the Divine Presence.  In close proximity to the throne are seven lamps of fire, signifying the Holy Spirit.  Also around the throne are four bizarre heavenly attendants, called living creatures in the NASB.  Their full-time job appears to be offering praise and worship to God.  Near the end of the chapter, these creatures launch into a praise chorus, prompting the twenty-four elders prostrate themselves before the throne of God.  What an amazing scene!
            The imagery in this chapter is indeed intense.  But as I worked my way through the chapter, I was especially impressed by one particular image.  As the supporting cast in the vision offer their praise to God, the twenty-four elders are pictured as casting their own crowns before the throne of God.  The fact that they had their own crowns imply some level of personal power and authority in the overall scheme of things.  But each one willingly surrenders his own crown in humble deference to the One who wields ultimate power and authority.  Amazing!
            While I don’t have a literal crown to cast before the Ultimate King, I pause to reflect upon my own submission before God.  Do I trust and honor Him enough to willingly cast before Him what is valuable in my own “realm” of influence -- things like my marriage, my family, my friends, my livelihood, or my future?  As important as each of these are, do I grasp them so tightly that I can’t surrender each of them to the One who values them more than I do? 

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: