Monday, September 24, 2012

How Big Is Your God?

I am so thankful that I serve a God who can defend Himself.  When someone speaks evil of my God, I don’t have to personally resort to the destruction of the blasphemer’s life or property.  God doesn’t need me to have His back.  My God is perfectly capable of standing up for Himself and dealing with offenders if that is what is needed.  Only an impotent God would need me to fight His battles
I’m reminded of the time when God called upon Gideon to deliver Israel from foreign oppression (Judges 6).  He is reluctant to accept the role, but he finally accepts.  The first matter of business for Gideon was to destroy an altar to a false god that belonged to his father, Joash.  He knew there would be repercussions for such an act against the false religion of his own people but he forged ahead anyway, carrying out the deed under the cover of darkness.
The next morning, the destroyed altar was discovered.  Immediately, passions were fanned into flame and Gideon was found to be the culprit.  The angry mob confronts Joash and demands the death of Gideon.  To his credit, Joash stands up to the blood-thirsty defenders of Baal and challenges the “manhood” of their god: “But Joash said to all who stood against him, ‘Will you contend for Baal, or will you deliver him?  Whoever will plead for him shall be put to death by morning.  If he is a god, let him contend for himself, because someone has torn down his altar’” (Judges 6:31).
Does it bother me when someone takes God’s name in vain?  Sure.  Should I share my displeasure with those who blaspheme God and mock His ways?  Yes.  Should I stand up for my beliefs?  Of course.  But beyond that, my God can handle His own detractors.  Rather than exacting my own revenge, I’ll let God dispense whatever wrath is needed (Romans 12:19).  It’s only impotent gods who need human defenders.  My God is big enough to contend for Himself!

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: