Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Gripe, Gripe, Gripe

Quit griping about your church; if it was perfect, you couldn’t belong.”  I don’t know the source of this quote.  It came to me as part of a list of catchy one-liners without any attribution.  Perhaps they are all from that great philosopher and author named “Anonymous.”  But regardless of the source, the sentiment it expresses is so very true.
It’s so easy to complain about our own congregation, isn’t it?  “The church isn’t doing enough.”  “The people are too friendly.”  “The people are not friendly enough.”  “The youth group is too small.”  “The youth group is too large.”  “The church needs to have more ministry opportunities.”  “The church is running me ragged with too many programs.”  “We are spending too much.”  “We are not spending enough.”  “I’m leaving if they ________.”  “I’m leaving if they don’t ________.”  “The church isn’t meeting my needs.”  On and on the list goes.
I hate to burst our rose-colored bubble, but there are no perfect congregations.  The church down the road might seem to be perfect, but that’s just because we are on the outside looking in.  The imperfections only become evident when we rub shoulders and egos with those who are part of the group and they rub shoulders and egos with us.  As long as a congregation is made up of imperfect people, it will function imperfectly.  And even if there was a perfect church, the moment I joined, it would become imperfect.
Instead of searching for the perfect church that doesn’t exist or complaining about the imperfections our current group, let me suggest that we all work together at improvement.  It’s easy to point out problems.  It’s much more work to become part of the solution to the problems.  Am I saying that a congregation shouldn’t be criticized?  No.  Every group has room for improvement.  But I am saying that if we are going to complain, we should also be willing to pitch in and contribute to a solution.
Thank God for imperfect churches.  They are the only places where I can fit in.  

God loves you!
Mike

1 comment:

Awakened said...

Thanks, Mike, I really needed this today. I greatly appreciate you taking time to write these things down and share them with us. May God continue to bless you and your family richly!