Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"What Should I Do?"


“What is God’s will for my life?”  Every disciple of Jesus Christ has likely asked this question.  Normally, we are concerned about the will of God regarding the big decisions we have to make.  Decisions like: “What job should I take?”  “Should I go to college?”  “Should I get married?”  “Who should I marry?”  “Should we have children?”  These big questions (and others like them) are important and we ought to seek God’s input as we make our choices.

But what about the “little” decisions of life?  What could I do this week that would honor God’s will for my life?

I can forgive someone who has wronged or offended me (Mark 11:25-26; Luke 17:3-4; Ephesians 4:32).
I can share someone’s burden (Galatians 6:2).
I can be patient with an immature believer (Romans 15:1)
I can encourage a fellow disciple (1 Thessalonians 5:11; Hebrews 3:13).
I can choose to be with the family of God (Hebrews 10:25).
I can rejoice with those who are happy (Romans 12:15).
I can weep with those who are sad (Romans 12:15).
I can abstain from sexual immorality (1 Thessalonians 4:3).
I can seek to gently restore someone who has given into temptation (Galatians 6:1).
I can speak truthfully to my neighbor (Ephesians 4:25).
I can pray for my brothers and sister in Christ (James 5:16).

How’s that for a start?  I can choose any action from the list above and know, without a doubt, that I am smack-dab directly in the center of God’s will for my life.  No need to wait on a word from the Lord because He has already given it.  No need to pray for discernment because God has plainly revealed His will in these matters.  When I am uncertain about God’s direction in one area of my life, I can always get busy with what I know God wants me to do.  Is there anything on the list that you could do this week?

God loves you!
Mike

2 comments:

Sydni said...

Thank you for your consistently excellent posts.

Mike Anderson said...

And thank you for your encouragement.