Monday, July 9, 2012

Responding Judiciously

The recent Supreme Court ruling regarding “Obamacare” has unleashed a flood of negative responses from those opposed to the plan.  Some of my Facebook friends were quick to voice their disapproval.  They certainly have the right to do that.  Some strong, even caustic, comments were directed toward the majority side of the 5-4 court ruling and toward Chief Justice Roberts specifically.  The sentiment seemed to be that 5 of the 9 Supreme Court Justices were running roughshod over the Constitution and that Justice Roberts was a traitor.
My purpose here is not to debate the merits and demerits of “Obamacare.”  Even what little I know about it has raised some real concerns in my own mind.  I have my doubts that it is the right answer to the health care problem in our country.  But I am also reminded that what we currently have isn’t working too well either.  So the debate rages on.

What concerns me is the tone of the debate.  What the current discourse has reinforced for me is just how fickle we can be.  I have to wonder how the tone of the discussion among religious conservatives would have changed if the subject of the ruling was different.  Imagine if the court would have voted 5-4 to uphold a ban on abortion.  Instead of hyperventilating about judicial activism, there would have been praise for the courage of the majority.  Instead of vilifying the swing voter, he would have been proclaimed a hero for standing up for what is right regardless of the pressure.  What changed?  Just the issue.  Because I am for it, it’s just common sense.  Because I am against it, it’s of the devil.
Again, my purpose is not to persuade anyone on the issue.  You are entitled to your opinion.  I am trying to get us to think about how we respond in the debate.  Before clicking “post” on our latest social media rant, let’s pause long enough to think about the Kingdom we represent and how Jesus might react in the same situation.
God loves you!
Mike

No comments: