Monday, April 9, 2012

Sluggish Faith

The disciples of Jesus were shell-shocked following his death on a Roman cross. Some were hiding behind locked doors, perhaps fearing that they would be the next ones crucified. Some women had made an early Sunday morning trek to the tomb of Jesus to anoint His dead body and had returned with a wild story about an open tomb, a missing body, and dazzling angels. The apostles themselves dismissed their story as unbelievable nonsense. Two disciples, traveling from Jerusalem to Emmaus, encountered the risen Lord but didn’t recognize Him at first. When Jesus asks them what they were discussing, they begin recounting the events of the last few days, including the crucifixion of their Leader. You can almost hear the disappointment in their voices as they say: “But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel...” But Jesus had heard enough. He rebukes their foolish lack of faith. “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?”” (Luke 24:25-26). The teaching and signs had always been there but their faith had been too sluggish.

I’m hesitant to be critical of these early disciples because I am all too familiar with my own sluggish faith. I think of the lessons that I am still learning in spite of Jesus’ clear teaching and example. I know that there are times when I deserve the same rebuke. There is no need to be anxious (Matthew 6:25-33) -- but I still worry. The Lord has promised never to abandon me (Hebrews 13:5) -- but I still don’t depend on Him like I should. I serve a Risen Lord Who has secured my own resurrection (Romans 8:11) -- but the thought of death still causes me to have mixed emotions.

Father, please forgive my sluggish faith! Like the father of the boy possessed by an evil spirit, I plead: “I do believe; help my unbelief” (Mark 9:24).

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: