Tuesday, April 24, 2012

He Who Has An Ear, Let Him Hear

A police officer in a small town stopped a motorist who was speeding down Main Street. "But officer," the man began, "I can explain..." "Just be quiet," snapped the officer. "I'm going to let you cool your heels in jail until the chief gets back." "But, officer, I just wanted to say..." "And I said to keep quiet! You're going to jail!" A few hours later the officer looked in on his prisoner and said, "Lucky for you the Chief's at his daughter's wedding. He'll be in a good mood when he gets back." "Don't count on it," answered the fellow in the cell. "I'm the groom" (sermoncentral.com).

Oh, the troubles we get into when we don’t take the time to listen! The Scriptures repeated counsel us to listen carefully. We learn that hearing is linked to learning. “A wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel (Proverbs 1:5). We discover that it is shameful to respond without listening first. “He who gives an answer before he hears, it is folly and shame to him (Proverbs 18:13). James calls us to listen quicker than we speak. “...But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger (James 1:19).

God pleads with us to listen! Listen, O my people, to my instruction; incline your ears to the words of my mouth (Psalm 78:1). "Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you; O Israel, if you would listen to Me! (Psalm 81:8). Eternal life is tied to listening to the voice of the Savior. "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life (John 5:24).

Let’s renew our resolve to listen before speaking. Let’s be more diligent to listen to God and one another.

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: