Tuesday, March 29, 2011

You Asked Me To Do What, God???

“Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf; for in its welfare you will have your welfare” (Jeremiah 29:7).

As a result of the discipline of God, a large number of the citizens of Judah had already been taken to the land of Babylon as captives. Everything familiar had been stripped away and they were now forced to live as captives in a foreign land where very little was familiar. How the captives must have longed for home! It is easy to see why they were eager to listen to some prophets who began to tell them what they wanted to hear -- that they wouldn’t be in Babylon for very long. But Jeremiah’s message from God was very different. He told them to get settled in because they would be there for 70 years! They might as well assimilate themselves into Babylonian society because they would not be going home any time soon (Jeremiah 29:5-6). Tough message, huh? But it was about to get tougher. Not only does Jeremiah tell them to settle in for the long haul but then he tells them to pray for good things to happen to their captors! Tough message indeed!

As a child of God, I am also called to do some tough things. I am instructed to love my enemies and do good to those who hate me (Luke 6:27). I am told to pray and be thankful for governmental leaders, regardless of the kind of people they are or the ideas they promote (1 Timothy 2:1-3). I am called to regard others as more important than myself (Philippians 2:3). I must refuse to let any unwholesome word leave my mouth (Ephesians 4:29). Tough instructions? Every last one of them! Hard to do? No doubt about it! But God didn’t check with me first to see if I wanted to do them or if I thought they were fair. He just tells me to do it. Will I or won’t I???

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: