Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Veterans

The last U.S. veteran of World War I died last Sunday at the age of 110. Frank Buckles was born in Missouri in 1901. In 1917, he joined thousands of his fellow Americans in seeking to enlist to serve in the “war to end all wars.” But there was one little problem. At age 16, Buckles was too young. He lied about his age when he tried to enlist with the Marines. He said he was 18 but was told he needed to be 21. He went back a week later and told them he was 21. He was rejected because he didn’t weigh enough. Buckles then tried the Navy but was told he had flat feet. Undaunted, he moved on to the Army. When challenged to provide a birth certificate, the teenager said, "I told him birth certificates were not made in Missouri when I was born, that the record was in a family Bible. I said, 'You don't want me to bring the family Bible down, do you?'" Buckles said with a laugh. "He said, 'OK, we'll take you.'" His official enlistment date was August 14, 1917 and Buckles served in England and France, working mainly as a driver and a warehouse clerk. Although he never saw combat and the armistice was signed between the Allies and Germany on November 11, 1918, this underage soldier answered his nation’s call. Thank you, Frank Buckles (and all other veterans), for doing your part. I am a grateful beneficiary of your courage and service (Source: foxnews.com).

I am also reminded of the indebtedness I have to the spiritual soldiers who have gone before me. There are many who have helped to secure my spiritual heritage in Jesus Christ. The spiritual battles they have fought in their lives are an example and inspiration for me. Let’s all remember to thank the spiritual veterans in our lives before it is too late. Some final food for thought: Who will rise up and take their places in the trenches for the next generation?

God loves you!
Mike

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good article Mike!

Unknown said...

Good article Mike!

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow me if you want too.

God bless you :-)

~Ron