Monday, January 25, 2010

Don't Tease The Lion!

“When it was time for the harvest, Cain presented some of his crops as a gift to the LORD. Abel also brought a gift—the best of the firstborn lambs from his flock. The LORD accepted Abel and his gift, but he did not accept Cain and his gift. This made Cain very angry, and he looked dejected. ‘Why are you so angry?’ the LORD asked Cain. ‘Why do you look so dejected? You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master’” (Genesis 4:3-7).

The temptation to sin is not an enemy that waits passively until we just happen to stumble upon it. In the text above, God pictures sin as an active predator who eagerly stalks its victim. This description fits well with what the Bible reveals in other places about the devil and his tactics. In another vivid word picture, Peter tells his readers: “Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8).

No one in their right mind messes around with a hungry lion. And yet, people continue to play around with sin. You don’t have to look far for examples, do you? We are all surrounded by people who are foolishly making this grave mistake in their lives. We shake our heads sadly over neighbors, friends, relatives, or business associates who are taunting a ferocious beast and are about to be attacked.

But if I am honest, I must admit that there is a closer and more familiar example of the problem – me. I convince myself that I can tease the cat and get away with it or that my sins are not as bad as other people’s sins but it is a self-delusion. Lord, please help me to stay as far as possible from the lion that seeks to devour me!

God loves you!
Mike

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Mike, this is a wonderful article. I would like to use it as a bulletin article, OK? Darlene and I hope all of you are doing well. God bless, Rod Forbess