Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Consequences

“What have you done?” (Genesis 3:13). How those words must have reverberated in the stillness of Eden. There is no way to know what tone God used as He uttered these penetrating words to Adam and Eve. Perhaps you imagine God speaking angrily with a booming voice. That is certainly possible. When I read the question, I’m more inclined to believe it was spoken in a quieter way, tinged with sadness and regret.

Standing before God in their fear and shame, the parents of the human race had no clue as to the full significance of what they had just done. After all, this was the first case of human sin. Adam and Eve had no benchmark from which to assess the potential fallout from their actions. In fact, they were already beginning to think of the feeble excuses they would offer to the Father for their sin.

But God knew. Only God could fully comprehend the consequences of that initial act of rebellion. As a result of that one act, an entire world would change. Weeds would grow. Pain would increase. Relationships would be altered. A sin-free world suddenly became infected with a deadly virus. The apostle Paul described it this way: “When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned” (Romans 5:12). And only the death of God’s own precious Son would reverse the curse and provide the antidote for the spiritual plague.

Every sin has consequences. But it seems to be so difficult to remember that fact when I am faced with an appealing opportunity to disobey God. Do you suppose Adam and Eve would have still chosen to sin if they could have foreseen the problems that it would cause? Maybe or maybe not. Who knows? But I do know that I make better decisions when I pause to consider the consequences of my choices. Perhaps I can avoid the question “What have you done?” if I learn to first ask myself “What might happen if I do?”

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: