Monday, February 25, 2008

Determination

When the days were approaching for His ascension, He was determined to go to Jerusalem…” (Luke 9:51).

This is one of those verses in the Bible that are easy to skip over as we rush on to other more important verses. I’m sure I have read these words numerous times in my life and I never paused to give them much thought. While working on a lesson this past week, I had an opportunity to read Luke 9:51 again but, this time, the same words caught my attention in a way that I had not experienced before.

The text says that Jesus was “determined” to go to Jerusalem. Literally, the phrase could be translated “set His face” and it is rendered that way in several versions of the Scriptures. It is a phrase that speaks of resoluteness of purpose or firmness of decision. What is being described is Jesus’ unwavering determination to keep His appointment with a cross in spite of the pain and suffering that would accompany it. In my mind’s eye, I can picture the face of my Savior. As He contemplated the road before Him, perhaps His eyes narrowed a bit. Possibly His jaw muscles flexed as He clenched His teeth. Maybe His brow furrowed some as the burden of His calling settled upon Him. The weight of that burden would continue to grow as the time grew closer for His crucifixion. In the Garden of Gethsemane, as He awaited His betrayer, Luke speaks of Jesus and tells us that “…in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground” (Luke 22:44). But through it all, Jesus remained determined to complete His mission regardless of the personal costs.

I am so grateful for a Savior who never wavered in His commitment to do whatever was necessary to secure my salvation. It is certainly a gift of which I am not worthy because my own determination to serve God is so flawed and inconsistent. Father, please help me to “set my face” to do Your will.

God loves you!

Mike

No comments: