Friday, November 30, 2007

Lane's Car

A couple months back, I read a thread on moparts about a guy in Canada that painted his '68 Charger with Trem-Clad(The Canadian equivalent of Rustoleum). The paint is thinned 50-50% with mineral spirits, and then applied with a foam roller. After a few coats(wet-sanding between each) and a final buffing, it looks pretty sharp. Heres the link: $50 Paint jobSince the rattle can black I had put on the dart a couple months back wasn't looking as good as I had hoped, I figured it was worth a shot. You can see the results in the pictures below. When I have the time, it will get another wetsanding and a good buffing with an electric polisher. My advice? Save your money and go to a pro body shop to get a base coat/clear coat job. Unless your paint can't get any worse, which was the case with mine. I did learn 2 things though:
1. How to work with body filler.
2. To ALWAYS use power sanders (Seriously. I stripped paint, and blocked body filler all by hand. It sucks. Don't be a cheapskate like me)
Also, the dart is running strong with a new V8 and transmission.
Here's pics. Maybe better than Mr. Schieb could have done, ;)?
Lane

1 comment:

Jason Harris said...

I've seen the car and the paint job. It doesn't look bad! Especially once Lane explained HOW the paint job was done. That was what impressed me.

Great job Lane. I wouldn't be embarrassed to roll with you in the swinger.

Now if you could just grow some sideburns and wear wide collar shirts you'd be styin'!

jh