Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Listening To Both Sides

“A great many people say, you must hear both sides; but if a man should write me a most slanderous letter about my wife, I don’t think I would have to read it; I should tear it up and throw it to the winds. Have I to read all the infidel books that are written, to hear both sides? Have I to take up a book that is a slander on my Lord and Master, who has redeemed me with His blood? Ten thousand times no! I will not touch it” (Moody’s Stories, D. L. Moody).

Living in the internet age provides us access to nearly inexhaustible amounts of information AND misinformation.  Clearly it's a blessing and a curse.  We have the incredible ability to research facts and figures and to seek the truth on any topic.  But that access makes us also vulnerable to the lies and deceptions of those who intentionally (or even unintentionally) seek to lead us astray.

Sometimes it’s best to not listen (or read).  In the days of Jeremiah, there were many false prophets who were spreading lies and misinformation.  They were contradicting the true words of God.  Over and over again, God spoke through Jeremiah, telling His people not to listen to the lies and propaganda (Jeremiah 23:16; 27:9,14,16,17; 29:8).  I can imagine the Israelites responding: “But surely we need to hear both sides, don’t we?”  Not according to God!  “Do not listen to them!”  If the Israelites had been living in the internet age, perhaps God would have told them: “Don’t visit their websites.  Don’t follow them on social media.  Don’t listen to their podcasts.”  

Truth has nothing to fear from examination and even critique.  There is a time and place for studying challenges to your faith, but only if you are first firmly grounded in your faith.  Only then can you discern the difference between truth and error.  Feed your faith instead of your doubts.  A steady diet of lies and misinformation can damage your spiritual health.  It can be fatal for your faith.


God loves you!

Mike

No comments: