Tuesday, August 1, 2023

The World Doesn't Revolve Around Me

The article is titled: “The Ford Bronco is being recalled because people may get ‘discouraged’ trying to use the seatbelts.”  Here is part of what it said: “Ever have a car with a difficult-to-reach seatbelt? This recall is for you. Ford is having to recall 176,000 of its Ford Bronco SUVs, model years 2021 to 2023, because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that drivers and front seat passengers can have difficulty reaching the metal portion of the belt when it is in the retracted position. “The customer may experience some dissatisfaction or be discouraged if they are unable to easily access the seatbelt… in its stowed position. Driving without the use of a seatbelt increases the risk of injury in a crash,” said the notice from the federal safety regulator. The recall involves only the five-door version of the Bronco.”*

I saw this article in passing and it struck a chord with me.  May I have a moment to go on a rant? What a nation of crybabies we have become!  Oh the horror of it all!  My seatbelt is hard to reach in a particular seat position.  I am so discouraged! I am so dissatisfied! No one should have to put up with that, right?  Really?  Are we so easily discouraged that this kind of thing ruins our day and demands regulatory action?  Ok, rant over.  Phew!  I feel better now.

Sadly, the trend of being too easily discouraged shows up in religious circles as well.  Someone says something I don’t like, so I just stay home.  The service doesn’t go just like I prefer, so I don’t attend.  My needs aren’t being met so what’s the use?  What I need to be reminded of is that it is not all about me.  I’m reminded in the Scriptures not to think too highly of myself (Romans 12:3), not to just please myself (Romans 15:1), and not to merely look out for my own personal interests (Philippians 2:4).  How about that?  Apparently the world doesn’t revolve around me.


God loves you!

Mike

*cnn.com; 5-31-23

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true! Some excuses are just laughable.

Mike Anderson said...

I agree! Especially some of the excuses I can come up with and how I can justify them. . Thanks for reading and commenting.