Friday, June 23, 2023

The Eye-Heart Connection

“If I have walked with falsehood, and my foot has hastened after deceit,let Him weigh me with accurate scales, and let God know my integrity. If my step has turned from the way, or my heart followed my eyes, or if any spot has stuck to my hands, let me sow and another eat, and let my crops be uprooted” (Job 31:5-8).

Job’s “friends” had done their best to convict him of some hidden sin in his life.  In their minds, there could be no other reason why he was experiencing so much suffering.  But throughout the book, Job has maintained his integrity.  As he reflects on his life, he can find nothing that would merit the pain and loss he has endured.  He is willing to face judgment if necessary but this seems out of proportion.

One phrase in the text above stands out to me: “If…my heart followed my eyes…  Our eyes are often gateways to sins of the heart.  I’m reminded of the story of Achan in the book of Joshua.  God had forbidden the Israelites from taking any of the spoil following the destruction of Jericho.  But Achan disobeyed God’s command.  Eventually his sin was revealed and he was confronted about it.  Notice how Achan responds: “So Achan answered Joshua and said, “Truly, I have sinned against the LORD, the God of Israel, and this is what I did: when I saw among the spoil a beautiful mantle from Shinar and two hundred shekels of silver and a bar of gold fifty shekels in weight, then I coveted them and took them; and behold, they are concealed in the earth inside my tent with the silver underneath it” (Joshua 7:20-21).

Sins of the heart often begin with the eyes.  Jesus Himself taught this: “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart” (Matthey 5:27-28).  Guarding the heart begins with guarding the eyes.


God loves you!

Mike 

No comments: