Monday, March 13, 2023

Disturbing Words

“Since we have heard that some of our number to whom we gave no instruction have disturbed you with their words, unsettling your souls…” (Acts 15.24).

Words are powerful and can be used to accomplish great good or great evil.  In the case referenced in the verse above, some were causing harm in the early church with their words.  Specifically, they were saying that keeping the Law of Moses was necessary to be saved (Acts 15:1,5).  The words themselves were simple enough to understand but they promoted a teaching that was false.  Salvation was through faith in Christ without any additions.  The testimony given at the Jerusalem council affirmed this fact.  To use words to teach otherwise was to disturb and unsettle potential converts and the council stood firmly against it.

How am I using my words?  The Scriptures often warn against the misuse of my words.  I should consider the quantity of my words.  In most cases, fewer words are better than many (Matthew 6:7; Proverbs 10:19; 17:27-28; Ecclesiastes 5:2-3).  I must guard against the careless use of my words because they are part of the standard of how I will be judged (Matthew 12:36-37; Proverbs 13:3).  I should never use words to deceive others (Ephesians 5:6; Colossians 2:4; Proverbs 4.24).  I should be careful against being hasty with my words (Proverbs 29:11,20; James 1:19).  Abusive words shouldn’t be part of my vocabulary (Colossians 3:18).

“Aesop, the ancient storyteller, told this fable: Once upon a time, a donkey found a lion's skin. He tried it on, strutted around, and frightened many animals. Soon a fox came along, and the donkey tried to scare him, too. But the fox, hearing the donkey's voice, said, "If you want to terrify me, you'll have to disguise your bray." Aesop's moral: Clothes may disguise a fool, but his words will give him away.”*

Lord, please help me never to misuse my words.


God loves you!

Mike

*http://www.sermonillustrations.com/a-z/s/speech.htm 

No comments: