Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Invisible Labels

“The car ahead was moving like a turtle and not getting out of my way in spite of my continuous honking. I was on the brink of losing my cool when I noticed the small sticker on the car’s rear bumper. “Physically challenged -- please be patient.” And that changed everything! I immediately calmed down and slowed my pace. In fact I got a little protective of the car and the driver. I reached work a few minutes late, but it was okay. And then it struck me.  Why couldn’t I have been patient even without a sticker? Why do we need stickers to be patient with people!?  Would we be more patient and kind with others if people had labels pasted on their foreheads?  Labels like: “Lost my job” -- “Fighting cancer” -- “Going through a bad divorce” -- “ Suffering Emotional abuse” -- "Lost a loved one” -- “Feeling worthless” -- “ Financially broken”..... and more like these? Everyone is fighting a battle we know nothing about. The least we can do is try to be patient and kind. Let us respect the invisible labels” (author unknown).”

Jesus was excellent at this.  The gospel records speak often of the compassion of the Savior.  Of course, He had the divine ability to look into people’s hearts and see what was going on there.  That certainly is an advantage in these kinds of situations.  But we don’t have to be the Son of God to be compassionate and patient with those around you.  We don’t need to be able to read minds and hearts to not jump to conclusions regarding the actions of others.

But we do need to “...put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience…” (Colossians 3:12).  We do need to “...not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4).  We should “...bear the weaknesses of those without strength and not just please ourselves” (Romans 15:1).

Is it hard work?  Yes.  But it’s the only way to begin to see the invisible labels.

 

God loves you!

Mike 

No comments: