Monday, October 10, 2022

Can I Quote You On That?

“You can't quote the Bible indiscriminately. I remember the story of two lawyers during a trial. One thought he would make a great impression on the jury by quoting from the Bible. So he said concerning his opponent's client, "We have it on the highest authority that it has been said, “All that a man has will he give for his life." But the other lawyer knew the Bible better. He said, "I am very much impressed by the fact that my distinguished colleague here regards as the highest authority the one who said, “All that a man has will he give for his life.” You will find that this saying comes from the Book of Job and the one who utters it is the devil. And that is whom he regards as the highest authority!" (Ray Stedman).

Please read and quote the Bible carefully.  Not everything recorded on its pages  is on equal footing or carries equal authority.  The statements of Satan in the book of Job are not the only examples from that ancient writing.  Large sections of the same Old Testament book are devoted to the speeches of Job’s so-called “friends.”  Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar wax eloquent in their rebukes of their suffering friend.  Some of it seems to be very quote-worthy material.  But remember God’s assessment near the end of Job: “It came about after the LORD had spoken these words to Job, that the LORD said to Eliphaz the Temanite, “My wrath is kindled against you and against your two friends, because you have not spoken of Me what is right as My servant Job has.  Now therefore, take for yourselves seven bulls and seven rams, and go to My servant Job, and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves, and My servant Job will pray for you. For I will accept him so that I may not do with you according to your folly, because you have not spoken of Me what is right, as My servant Job has” (Job 42:7-8).

Take care in quoting the Bible!

 

God loves you!

Mike 

No comments: