Tuesday, August 2, 2022

I'm Glad God Is Different

         “How can I give you up, O Ephraim? How can I surrender you, O Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I treat you like Zeboiim? My heart is turned over within Me, all My compassions are kindled. I will not execute My fierce anger; I will not destroy Ephraim again. For I am God and not man, the Holy One in your midst, and I will not come in wrath. They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west. They will come trembling like birds from Egypt and like doves from the land of Assyria; and I will settle them in their houses, declares the LORD” (Hosea 11:8-11).

         The judgment of the northern kingdom of Israel in Hosea’s day was inevitable.  Due to her sin and rebellion, God was sending the nation into Assyrian captivity.  Enough was enough!  But that doesn’t mean that God enjoyed punishing His people or that He was done with them forever.  The verses from Hosea 11 listed above make that clear. The long-suffering and compassionate heart of God is clearly on display in the text.  You can hear the emotions in the words used.  In spite of all the pain to be experienced in the present, Israel would eventually enjoy God’s renewed blessings.  The day would eventually come when the repentant remnant would be restored.

A phrase in verse 9 stands out to me: “For I am God and not man…”  The contrast in the context is evident.  Likely most of us humans, put in the same situation as God in dealing with Israel, would have written them off for good.  “I don’t have to be treated like this!”  “They don’t deserve another chance!”  “I will show them who they are dealing with.” But God is different.

We are called to be like God in some ways.  But we can also be so thankful that God is not like us in other ways.


God loves you!

Mike

No comments: