Friday, March 19, 2021

A Little More Info

  I received an email from a well-known Bible software company recently.  Here is the message it contained: “There’s still time to get _________ for less, but the clock is ticking. Pick your ________ package before February 1 to take advantage of launch discounts.  Not sure which package is right for you? Click below for a personalized recommendation!”  A personalized recommendation?  The only “contact” I have ever had with this company is by downloading a couple of free books and being added to their email list -- all accomplished with a few keystrokes on a computer.  How could they possibly make a “personalized recommendation” based on that level of interaction?  But somewhat curious at this point, I thought, “Ok, I’ll bite.”  I clicked on the big, blue “Recommend for me” button to see what they would suggest.  Blazoned in bold letters at the top of the next page were the words:  “We Think _________ Would Be a Great Fit for You.”  Coincidentally, this great fitting package was discounted 15% and available for only $849.99!  Not sure how someone who knew me so well would recommend software at such a price, I scrolled to the bottom of the page and was relieved to read this: “Not sure we got it right?  Give us a little more info and we'll fine tune your recommendation.”

As I smiled and shook my head at this marketing strategy, I also began to reflect on the times when I have been quick to make “personal recommendations” in the life of someone else without really knowing them.  This can be especially dangerous when the recommendation hasn’t even been solicited.  But even when the advice has been requested, I’ve learned it’s always best to try to get to know the person before making too many pronouncements.  Most recommendations are not “one size fits all.”  If I rush to make a determination before I have all the facts in the matter, I will likely miss the mark with my counsel.  “A little more info” is rarely a bad thing.

God loves you!

Mike


No comments: