Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Can Fear Be Useful?


Mike Glenn shares some great thoughts about fear in a recent article titled: “Alligators Under My Bed.”  Think carefully about the following:
“As I have gotten older, I find out I’m still afraid, but I’ve changed my mind about the things I’m afraid of. I don’t fear alligators under my bed anymore. I fear missing a moment with my wife. I’m afraid I’ll miss a moment with my sons and grandchildren. I worry about the time I have with my friends. I worry about missing an adventure that would have allowed me to see the secret of the universe and missing it all because I thought I should show up for one more meeting about nothing. I’m afraid of living for nothing. I’m afraid when everything is said and done, nothing I’ve said and nothing I’ve done will have mattered.
“But this time, my fear doesn’t paralyze me, it energizes me. I’m 62 years old. I have lived most of my life. Whenever I read the paper and notice the obituaries, I’m stunned by how many people my age and younger have died! Tomorrow is never guaranteed. So, I know this. I know I’m going to die, and instead of being frozen in fear, I’m motivated to do those things – and only those things—that matter. I may be a little later going into the office because I’m enjoying coffee with my wife. I may get up and step outside of a meeting if one of my sons calls. I may linger in my Bible study and not be in such a rush during my prayers.
“I’m old enough to know what matters. I’m old enough to know I don’t have forever. Funny, but the fear in me keeps me focused. After all, you learn to get up fast in the morning if you think there are alligators under the bed.”*
            Rather than being paralyzed by fear, we can use it to motivate us to focus on what is truly important.  In that sense, fear can be useful.

God loves you!
Mike
*https://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/2019/11/01/alligators-under-my-bed/

No comments: