Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Cardiomegaly


            Perhaps you or someone you know has experienced a medical condition known as an “enlarged heart.” “An enlarged heart (cardiomegaly) isn't a disease, but rather a sign of another condition. The term "cardiomegaly" refers to an enlarged heart seen on any imaging test, including a chest X-ray. Other tests are then needed to diagnose the condition causing your enlarged heart. You may develop an enlarged heart temporarily because of a stress on your body, such as pregnancy, or because of a medical condition, such as the weakening of the heart muscle, coronary artery disease, heart valve problems or abnormal heart rhythms. Certain conditions may cause the heart muscle to thicken or one of the chambers of the heart to dilate, making the heart larger. Depending on the condition, an enlarged heart may be temporary or permanent. An enlarged heart may be treatable by correcting the cause. Treatment for an enlarged heart can include medications, medical procedures or surgery. The risk of complications from an enlarged heart depends on the part of the heart that is enlarged and the cause. Complications of an enlarged heart can include: heart failure, blood clots, heart murmur, cardiac arrest, and death.”*

            While working on a lesson a few days ago, I learned that an enlarged heart can also be a spiritual condition.  Psalm 25 is one of many psalms of David in which he shares his experiences with the struggles of life.  Listen to the emotion in verses 16-17: “Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.  The troubles of my heart are enlarged; bring me out of my distresses.”  According to David, the stresses of life can lead to spiritual cardiomegaly.  Thankfully, there is a treatment plan that works.  Like David, we need to seek the Lord when the trials of life overwhelm us. “Guard my soul and deliver me; do not let me be ashamed, for I take refuge in You. Let integrity and uprightness preserve me, for I wait for You” (Psalm 25:20-21).



God loves you!

Mike

*https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/enlarged-heart/symptoms-causes/syc-20355436

No comments: