Monday, April 30, 2018

Spiritual Maturity

          “Two teachers were once applying for the same Vice-Principal position at  a local high school. One had been teaching a total of 8 years and the other a total of 20. Everyone expected the teacher with the greater experience to get the job, but when a decision was made it was the person with 8 years teaching who was chosen. The teacher overlooked for the job complained bitterly – “I’ve got 20 years teaching to her 8” he cried. “I’m vastly more qualified.” The School Board’s reply went like this: “Yes sir, you do have 20 years teaching to her 8, but where she has 8 years experience you have 1 years experience repeated 20 times.” Simply experiencing the passage of time doesn’t mean we have grown or learned from those things we experience during that time” (storiesforpreaching.com).
          The Scriptures are clear concerning the need for disciples of Jesus to grow in their faith.  The apostle Paul encouraged the Ephesian believers “...to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ…” (Ephesians 4:15).  The apostle Peter counseled his readers in his first letter to “...long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation…” (1 Peter 2:2).  Then he ends his second letter with an admonition to “...grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).  The letter to the Hebrews chides those disciples for not growing past the baby food stage in their lives (Hebrews 5:12-14).  It would appear that remaining static in the faith wasn’t an option for first century believers.  I find no reason to think that the expectation is any different today for us.
          Am I the same Christian i was 10, 20, or 30 years ago?  Am I content to remain an infant in my faith?  Do I seek opportunities to stretch my spiritual muscles so that I can become more involved in my church family?  Is it time for me to grow up?

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: