Monday, March 12, 2018

Living The Words We Sing


In an article titled “Hymns for the “Sorta” Committed,” Edd Sterchi lists the following “revamped” song titles:

I Surrender Some
It is Fairly Well with My Soul
Fill My Spoon, Lord
Oh, How I Like Jesus
He’s a Little Bit to Me
I Love to Let Someone Else Tell the Story
Take My Life and Let Me Be
Where He Leads, I’ll Consider Following
Just as I Pretend to Be
Onward Christian Reserves
When the Saints Go Sneaking In
Sit Down, Sit Down for Jesus
My Hope is Built on Somewhat Less
How Neglected is the Book Divine
I Need Thee Every Other Hour
To Canaan’s Land I Hope I’m On My Way*

While we smile at these titles, perhaps inwardly we cringe a bit, knowing that too often we also sing better than we live. I understand that many of our songs to God are designed to be aspirational — where we stretch for a target beyond us, such as “More Love To Thee.”  That’s all well and good.  But have you ever caught yourself singing some well-known words and then wonder: Do I really mean what I’m singing?  This isn’t intended as a discouragement to praising God in song.  It’s merely a reminder to us all to endeavor to live the words as well as sing them. 

God loves you!
Mike

*http://bulletindigest.com/2015/12/09/hymns-for-the-sorta-committed/

No comments: