Tuesday, January 2, 2018

When God Has Other Plans

Steven Brice shared a great post recently on the Charis website titled “When God Shows Up For Christmas".*  He begins by describing (in modern terms) how preparations for Mary and Joseph’s marriage were likely moving forward according to plan until God intervened to disrupt their plans.  He goes on to write of how, from that point on, their world was turned upside down.

I especially appreciate his summary paragraph.  The story of Jesus entering into the world is a story of God disrupting the lives and plans of those God chose. I am aware that during the Christmas season, many find deep delight in thinking about the birth of Jesus or some random white fat guy squeezing through a chimney looking for milk and cookies while providing gifts. But the Christmas story is more than that. It is a reminder that God will disrupt our lives and plans as a gift to the world. I am aware that the Christmas season invites us to create a wishlist of things we want, but the Jesus story invites us to welcome an uninvited guest who is about to turn our world upside-down. So in this Christmas season, as we sing choral songs, drink vegan eggnog, and spend time with family and friends, may we be prepared and be obedient to what mission God is calling us to be a part of when God shows up for Christmas."

As I read these words, I thought of so many others in the Scriptures whose lives and plans were changed in an instant by God’s plans.  Abraham, Sarah, Joseph, Moses, Ruth, Esther, Jeremiah, Mary Magdalene, Paul, etc..  And as I thought about these people of faith, I reflected on my own reaction to the times when God disrupts MY plans.  It’s so very easy to become discouraged or resentful when things don’t work out the way I would like.  God, please give me the courage to shelve my own plans when YOU have other plans.

God loves you!
Mike

* http://char.is/blog/2017/12/23/when-god-shows-up-for-christmas/

No comments: