Saturday, June 11, 2016

Signs of Life

Perhaps you heard or read the reports this past week of the new push to find evidence for life beyond our planet.  planetsThis is a search that has been on-going for years, but is now receiving a boost through the investment of 100 million dollars by a Russian billionaire, Yuri Milner.  Well-known cosmologist Stephen Hawking is lending his name and influence to the effort.  The influx of financing will provide resources which were previously out of reach, such as access to some of the world’s most powerful telescopes.  Proponents believe this will provide the best opportunity yet to discover if there is life “out there.”
My purpose here is not to debate the merits of this effort.  Some will praise this as a necessary step for scientific advancement.  Others will claim that the world has many more important issues to confront.  You have your opinion and I have mine.  But, bottom line, I guess it’s Mr. Milner’s 100 million dollars and he can spend it how he sees fit.  briefcase of moneyStephen Hawking is free to throw his support behind any effort he deems worthy.
Reading about the search for life “out there” got me to thinking about the search for life “in here.”  As a disciple of Jesus, I need to do a periodic search for the signs of life that should be evident in me as one who has been given abundant  life (John 10:10).  Detection of these signs of life do not require an expensive radio telescopetelescope capable of probing the dark corners of the universe.  They should be detectable to the naked eye as the Spirit of God produces His fruit in my life as a believer (Galatians 5:21-22). Signs of life are transmitted each time I respond to a brother or sister in Christ in a loving way (John 13:35).
Is there life “out there?”  I don’t know.  But I do know there needs to be life “in here” -- in my heart as a follower of Christ.  lamp and heartThe evidence should be there for all to see.
God loves you!
Mike

No comments: