Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Do You Know The Lord?

          The phrase “...then you will know that I am the Lord…” (or something very similar to it) is found 63 times in the book of Ezekiel (NASB). Recurring words or phrases provide us with a key to understanding the purpose behind a biblical writing. The book of Ezekiel speaks of God’s efforts to reach out to His wayward children. The people of Judah had forgotten who God was. Oh sure, they probably would not have denied God’s existence but their words and actions revealed that they really didn’t know or respect Him.
          This situation was unacceptable to God. He refused to abandon His people without a fight. So he set out to provide them with the knowledge they lacked. This knowledge would come to them when they experienced the coming judgment God promised if they refused to repent. “‘For My eye will have no pity on you, nor will I spare you, but I will bring your ways upon you, and your abominations will be among you; then you will know that I am the LORD!” (Ezekiel 7:4). But they would also gain knowledge when God kept his promises of restoration following the judgment. “Thus I will establish My covenant with you, and you shall know that I am the LORD, so that you may remember and be ashamed and never open your mouth anymore because of your humiliation, when I have forgiven you for all that you have done,” the Lord GOD declares” (Ezekiel 16:62–63).
          Do we truly know the Lord? I’m talking about more than just acknowledging His existence. I’m speaking of the kind of knowledge that causes us to speak and act in ways that bring honor to Him (cf. Romans 1:21; Titus 1:16). It’s the kind of knowledge that leads us to actively love others (1 John 4:8). It’s the kind of knowledge that prompts us to obey Him (1 John 2:3-4). It’s this kind of knowledge that leads to eternal life (John 17:3).

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: