Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Deeper Kind Of Faith


          “Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego replied to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to give you an answer concerning this matter.  If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king.  But even if He does not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up.”” (Daniel 3:16–18).
          Periodically, it is good for me to examine my motivation for my faith in God.  Do I only trust in Him because He answers my prayers in the way I like?  Am I following His lead merely because my life is proceeding according to my plans?  Do I take a stand for my principles only when it is convenient?  While these motivations could be viewed as better than none at all, I believe God is calling us all to a deeper kind of faith.
          I’m impressed with the faith of Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego.  As I read the account, I can imagine them standing within seeing and hearing distance of the roaring furnace of fire.  In response to Nebuchadnezzar’s threat, they affirm their faith in God’s ability to rescue them from the situation at hand.  My guess is that was the way they wanted to see the drama play out.  But it is what they say next that astounds and humbles me.  “But even if He does not...”  They were still willing to stand by their principles even if things didn’t work out like they wanted.  Apparently, their faith in God was based upon what God had already said rather than on what God might or might not do in a particular situation.
          It’s easy for me to become discouraged when life takes some unexpected turns.  But I need to be careful about letting the turns of life become a barometer of my faith.  “O for a faith that will not shrink...”

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: