Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Extravagance

“Years ago, the professional golfer Arnold Palmer played a series of exhibition matches in Saudi Arabia.  When he finished, the king was so impressed with Palmer’s expertise that he desired to give Palmer a gift.  Palmer, a multi-millionaire in his own right, demurred: “It isn’t really necessary.  I just enjoyed meeting your people and playing in your country.”  The king indicated his extreme displeasure at not being able to give the golf pro a gift.  Palmer wisely reconsidered and said, “Well, how about a golf club?  A golf club would be a wonderful memento of my visit here.”  The king was pleased.  The following day, a messenger delivered to Palmer’s hotel room the title to a golf club -- thirty six holes, trees, lakes, buildings.  The moral of this story?  In the presence of the king, don’t ask for small gifts” (Brennan Manning, The Furious Longing of God, p. 110).
Sometimes I wonder if I am asking too little of my heavenly King.  Am I afraid of bankrupting the One who owns it all?  Am I assuming that He has more important matters clamoring for His attention?  Am I fearful of appearing to be too self-indulgent when others have greater needs than my own?  Could it be that the smallness of my requests says something about the size of my God?  I’m not sure.
But I do know that God is able to do more than I can even imagine (Ephesians 3:20).  I do know that God invites his children to test his ability to bless them (Malachi 3:10).  I do know that when God gives, he gives lavishly and generously (Ephesians 1:8; James 1:5).  But is my knowledge of God reflected in my requests of God?  Am I willing to pray extravagantly to the King who can answer extravagantly?
Father, may I never presume upon your generosity.  Help me to be grateful for however you choose to answer my prayers.  But help me to never be hesitant to ask for BIG gifts!


God loves you!
Mike

No comments: