Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A New Name


“He really is the lizard king.  A 23-year-old Nebraska man walked into a courtroom in York County Monday afternoon as Tyler Gold -- and walked out as Tyrannosaurus Rex, the York News-Times reported.  Gold said he wanted to change his name “because the (T-Rex designation) is cooler,” according to an official filing he made with court. “Also, as an entrepreneur, name recognition is important and the new name is more recognizable.”  Gold repeated this line of thought aloud during the court proceedings from the witness stand, the York News-Times said.  Judge Alan Gless asked Gold if he was hiding from creditors or law enforcement. Gold said none of those factors were involved in his request.  And just like that, a new Tyrannosaurus Rex was born” (foxnews.com, 5-8-12).

New names are sought for various reasons.  Some are trying to hide from their past.  Others seek a fresh start for the future.  A few choose bizarre names in the hope of attracting attention.  Some choose a plain name to avoid an odd one. Here are some examples:  Alphonso D'Abruzzo became Alan Alda.  Google was once known as BackRub.  Samuel Langhorne Clemens is better known as Mark Twain.  Her many fans knew Dianne Desiree Belmont as Lucille Ball.  Pepsi-Cola was once called Brad’s Drink.  Professional basketball player Ron Artest is now known as Metta World Peace.

Faithful followers of God are promised a new name (Isaiah 62:2; Revelation 2:17; 3:12).  That’s good news because the names I earned before becoming a disciple are not very flattering.  Names like sinner, enemy, rebel, and loser.  Names I am not proud of, but deserved, none the less.  But because of Jesus Christ, no one can use those names for me anymore!  Call me forgiven instead of sinner.  Call me friend instead of enemy.  Call me follower instead of rebel.  Call me winner instead of loser.

Please do not use my old names.  I used to answer to them but I don’t any longer.  My Father has given me a new name!
God loves you!
Mike


No comments: