Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Seasons of Life

Well, it finally happened. I received my first “senior” discount Sunday evening. The family and I stopped at Wendy’s for dinner after visiting Bethlehem Village in Fair Oaks. Initially, I didn’t order a drink with my meal. But after sitting down and starting to eat, I changed my mind. I went back and asked the young lady at the counter for a 99 cent soft drink from the value menu. She said that seniors received that drink free of charge. Knowing that there HAD to be some mistake, I said, “I doubt I am old enough to qualify for that. How old do you have to be?” “Fifty” she replied. I’m sure I had a stunned look on my face as I thanked her for the free drink and returned to finish my meal. When did I pass that milestone? Since when do I qualify for “senior” discounts? Aren’t those just for “older” people?

Time truly stops for no one, but it is seasonal. “There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven. A time to give birth and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to kill and a time to heal; a time to tear down and a time to build up. A time to weep and a time to laugh; a time to mourn and a time to dance. A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. A time to search and a time to give up as lost; a time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; a time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate; a time for war and a time for peace” (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8).

Lord, please guide me in discerning and embracing the seasons of life.

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: