Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Upgrade

I picked up a rental car at the airport the other day. Because I’m cheap, I had reserved an economy model. All rental fleets have their “economy” line -- just basic, no frills, cheapest, get-from-point-A-to-point-B transportation. As I approached the counter, I braced myself for the inevitable sales pitch. Every rental car sales associate I have ever encountered has tried to get me to “upgrade” to a sleeker, more luxurious (read that “more expensive”) model. In fact, it just so happened that they had some special deals going on right then. What luck! But after saying “no” and a bit more arm-twisting, she handed me the paperwork and sent me out to the lot to choose a lowly economy model.

When I handed my paperwork to the lot attendant, she looked it over and said, “Sir, we are all of our economy models are out right now. Go ahead and choose any car from the full-size line.” Initially, I thought it was just another trick to pry more money out of me. So I turned to her with a skeptical look in my eye and asked, “For the same price?” “Yes, for the same price” she said. I still could hardly believe it. I was so surprised that I just jumped in the first car in line without even looking at what else was available. I had to get out of the lot before they changed their minds.

I wonder at times if that might be my reaction when I get my first glimpse of what God has in store for the faithful beyond this life (assuming, of course, that I remain faithful until the end). The figurative descriptions in the Scriptures of dwelling in the eternal presence of God likely do not do justice to the literal reality. When comparing this existence with that existence, all Paul could say is that being with Christ is “very much better” (Philippians 1:23).

What an upgrade! It may seem too good to be true, but it isn’t! Life with God is first-class, not economy-class!

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: