Monday, June 6, 2011

Word Games

“...Then all the remnant of Judah who have gone to the land of Egypt to reside there will know whose word will stand, Mine or theirs” (Jeremiah 44:28).

God had mercifully spared a remnant of His people from the destruction that fell upon Judah and Jerusalem. One would think that these individuals, more than any others, would understand the importance of hearing and obeying the words of God. But instead of remaining in the land of Judah as God told them, they fled for refuge in Egypt. And even in that foreign land, God continues to reach out to His rebellious children through the prophet, Jeremiah. He reminds them of what they had already seen and experienced (44:2-6). He confronts them concerning their own stubborn rebelliousness and warns them of the consequences (44:7-14). Incredibly, the people claim they were better off doing things their own way! They had convinced themselves that life was better when they carrying out their own words (44:15-19). God closes the chapter by saying that He is not going to argue with them over the matter. They would know soon enough whose words would stand the test of time.

My words are no match for God’s words. In a contest of words with God, I’m unarmed and disqualified. God’s words will stand long after my words are forgotten. Therefore, when I read Jeremiah 44, I am amazed at the audacity of the Judean refugees in Egypt. How dare they exalt their own words over the word of God! But when I am honest with myself, I have to admit that the temptation is there. After all, am I not “entitled” to my opinion? Not when that opinion contradicts, ignores, or exalts itself over God’s words! Aren’t my words important? Not in comparison to God’s words!

When I am tempted to play word games with God, may I be ready to echo the words and actions of Job: “Behold I am insignificant; what can I reply to you? I lay my hand on my mouth” (Job 40:4).

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: