Monday, April 18, 2011

I Am An Addict

I attended a seminar hosted by a local church recently that was designed to share information about how concerned individuals and organizations can be involved in reaching out to hurting segments of society in El Dorado county. Presentations were given by county agencies, support groups, private enterprises, and churches about how they were helping those who were homeless, those who were suffering with mental problems, and those who were battling addictions. Speakers included some with advanced degrees in their field of expertise as well as others with no letters after their name but with a wealth of experience in reaching out to help others in desperate circumstances. Each one spoke about their specific efforts to help and shared practical information regarding what works well and what doesn’t work very well.

I was particularly impressed by the group representing Narcotics Anonymous. Their presentations weren’t as polished as some of the others. In fact, you could tell that they were nervous but they still did a great job of telling us about how they help those who are fighting addictions. But as good as their information was, I was most impressed by how they introduced themselves. The first words spoken by all three were these: “Hi, my name is ________________ and I am an addict.” I realize that such statements are part of their recovery process, but what courage it must take to stand before others and admit to your own struggles! It appeared that they had all made great strides in conquering the addictions that had nearly ruined their lives. But they remind themselves and others often that they will always battle the temptation to relapse.

Would my life as a Christian change if I started introducing myself like this: “Hi, I’m Mike and I am a sinner”? Perhaps an on-going reminder like that would make me more vigilant against temptations, more patient and forgiving when wronged, and more thankful for My Savior. I just might be less prideful, less impatient, and less judgmental. What do you think?

God loves you!
Mike

No comments: