Monday, September 20, 2010

Bragging Rights

Two farmers, one from Nebraska and the other from Texas, happened to be sitting next to one another on a recent airline flight. After introducing themselves, the talk quickly turned to their shared profession. Not long into the conversation, the Nebraska farmer began to notice a disturbing trend. No matter what he mentioned about his farming operation, the Texas farmer always claimed to have something bigger or better. It didn’t matter what they were talking about -- crop yields, herd sizes, profits, or football -- the Texas farmer always found a way to brag. Frustrated by the direction of the exchange, the Nebraska farmer finally picked up a magazine from seat pocket in front of him and pretended to read it. Undeterred, the Texas farmer asked, “How big is your farm?” Dreading the inevitable comparison, the Nebraska farmer muttered, half under his breath, “I farm 800 acres all together.” “Why, that’s nothin’,” the Texas farmer countered. “My spread in Texas is so big that I get in my pickup in the morning and I don’t make it to all of my fields until the sun is going down!” A grin slowly spread across the Nebraska farmer’s face. Finally, he had him! Turning to the Texan, with an expression of mock sympathy, he said, “I’m so sorry to hear that. I used to have a pickup truck like that myself...”

If you hang around children long enough, sooner or later you will hear them comparing their fathers. “My dad is richer than your dad!” The claim may or may not be true. And as far as playground bragging rights go, it is probably not a big deal. As children of God, we can truly claim to have universe’s richest dad. He owns the earth and everything in it (Psalm 24:1; 50:10-12). In view of that fact, I must ask myself some questions. Does my life reflect the wealth of my Father? Do I doubt His ability to provide? Do I really believe He has the resources to meet my needs? I wonder...

God loves you!
Mike

1 comment:

tootlepip said...

Much food for thought here. Thanks for posting.