Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Can God Handle It?

“Why do the nations rage? Why do the people waste their time with futile plans? The kings of the earth prepare for battle; the rulers plot together against the LORD and against his anointed one. ‘Let us break their chains,’ they cry, ‘and free ourselves from this slavery.’ But the one who rules in heaven laughs. The Lord scoffs at them. Then in anger he rebukes them, terrifying them with his fierce fury” (Psalms 2:1-5).

I need to read these verses periodically. In a world that seems to be spinning out of control, I tend to forget that God still runs the universe. It seems that there is always some nation plotting the destruction of some other nation. Another terrorist attack is a very real possibility. Every day brings further drift from the godly underpinnings that are vital to the success and well-being of any civilized society. God is openly mocked and His followers are caricatured as ignorant peddlers of medieval superstitions.

When faced with such a world, I often feel the need to defend God. So I begin rage against the “rage-ers.” I make battle plans against the “battle-ers.” I form plots against the “plot-ers.” After all, if I don’t do something, this country will fall completely in the gutter.

But then I read verses like Psalm 2:1-5 and I am forced to re-think my way of dealing with the world I live in. I must answer some important questions. Does God need me to defend him? No. He laughs at those who think they can overthrow Him. Can He run the universe without my help? Yes. He did it before I was around and He will do it after I am gone. Has God called me to change the government? Not unless it involves helping to change the hearts of those involved in government.

Instead of developing ulcers, perhaps I should turn the world over to God and concentrate on being who God has called me to be in spite of the world around me.

God loves you!
Mike

2 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

I need to read that verse more, too. Mike, you always write great articles get at the core. God is in control; what does it ultimately matter what some political or economic leader says or does? Our main tasks - being God's people. Great post.

Mom said...

I have the same roller coaster ride. I get all worked up, only to realize Someone else is in control. What a comfort!